If you are a homeowner with a wood-burning fireplace, have the chimney cleaned at least once yearly. Chimney cleaning is a necessary part of home maintenance, and there are several reasons why it’s important to ensure your chimney is clean and well-maintained. Let’s look at a few reasons to keep the chimney in good shape.

Have the Chimney Cleaned: Reduce Fire Risk

One of the most important reasons to have your chimney cleaned annually is it reduces the risk of a house fire. An accumulation of creosote, soot, or debris in the chimney can create a dangerous blockage and increase the risk of fire inside the home. A professional chimney sweep will remove build-up in the flue to keep your home safe from potential fire hazards.

Have the Chimney Cleaned to Improve Efficiency

Another reason to have your chimney cleaned regularly is that it improves the efficiency of your fireplace or wood-burning stove. A build-up of soot or creosote affects airflow in the chimney and makes it more difficult for smoke and exhaust gases to escape from the fireplace. The build-up reduces efficiency and performance and may lead to smoke in your living spaces. Regularly cleaning your chimney will effectively vent the smoke outside.

Remove Wildlife

If you haven’t had your chimney inspected or cleaned in a while, birds or animals may have nested inside it. Animal nests block airflow, which prevents proper ventilation. Your fireplace will be less efficient, and because the nesting materials are flammable, this increases the risk of a chimney fire.

Additionally, if not removed, pests can do structural damage to the brickwork or masonry of the flue, which could lead to costly repairs.

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

One of the most important reasons to regularly have your chimney cleaned is to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause health problems and even death if inhaled in large amounts. CO poisoning occurs when fuel-burning appliances and furnaces are not maintained or are misused.

When your chimney becomes clogged with creosote, leaves, animal nests, and other debris, it leads to poor ventilation. Fumes from burning wood can be pushed back into your home, increasing the risk of CO poisoning. CO can become trapped in your living spaces when smoke cannot escape through the chimney.

Hiring a professional chimney sweep is essential for keeping your home safe from potential hazards. A professional will have the experience and tools necessary to complete the job safely. If you own a wood-burning fireplace or stove, schedule a chimney sweep at least once yearly.

Aarrow Home Inspections offers inspection services to customers in the Triangle Area of North Carolina. Contact us to request an appointment.